Tuesday, June 1, 2010

MiNTLib / Kernel Future and also SpareMiNT......

Since I have been remiss with updates, been doing work with some progress, let me post some of my list postings. Will be 2, one about the future (this post) and the next about SpareMiNT for multiple targets......

---

Hi All,

Well, not sure where to go with this conversation, but we need to start it.

First being, we need a person, or a group of people, to steer MiNTLib and the Kernel. Mainly, I think, these people need to decide when it is time to do a release, maybe a little project planning, but I do not believe we need too much. I think this needs to more or less be a decision by the group.

It seems to me that it was more or less decided we should release MiNTLib at 0.59, should this be done now, or with a past build? I know I agree with this since some of the modern tools (gmp/mpfr/mpc/gcc) need support from functionality added and fixed in the CVS/developmental branch of the MiNTLib.


I would propose that we do a release now, and then plan the 0.60 version of MiNTLib to be released around the time of the Firebee release (possibly) in case things need to be fixed or added for Coldfire.

As for the kernel, I can not speak to it's status for release. I would recommend a road map or maybe a list of goals to prepare it for release, mainly bug squishing, and then expand that list to include what features, additions, etc, would go into the next revision.

Now, the other question is Sparemint. Where should it head? Are people still willing to build RPMs and support the software, and do people still want the software supported?

The other issue with Sparemint (well RPM), at least in my opinion, is architecture support. By default, unless currently noted, RPMs are built for a 68000 target. Should that remain the same, or should this expand so that packages are also target at 68020-60 and then later at the Coldfire? If so, how?

I have my own ideas / thoughts for this, but not much point in executing it if it would be of no use.

Remember, Alan is also working on a Gentoo MiNT distribution. I just want to basically see programming resources not go to waste, and get some real 'direction.'

Sorry for writing a book. Back to working on MPFR RPM.....

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment